Re: LUT questions

Dave Akers (dla@sgi.com)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:44:24 -0700

Mark Davey wrote:

> I do have another question however. Assuming an external data format of
> LUMINANCE with data type UNSIGNED SHORT, can I simply use the high byte
> of each luminance value to give the index into the lookup table?

Hi Mark,

There's no way using the voLookupTable class to do this.. The lookup table
works by scaling your data from each channel directly into a color index
within the range of the lookup table. But I don't understand why you would
want to store the color index with your texture data, anyway. Why not just
provide a LUT separately that maps your data values to particular colors?

There's also a COLOR_INDEX externalFormat for volume data. You could use
this if you wanted to, and then your volume data would simply index into
the color lookup table directly.

-Dave