Re: porting Volumizer

From: ballard andrews (andrews@ridgefield.sdr.slb.com)
Date: 04/20/2000 13:32:31

Not that anybody asked, but IMHO
this decision is what all but killed Volumizer.
O.k. so the performance would be poor on platforms without
3Dtexture mapping and SGI wants to sell their hardware,
but you guys did have plans to release Volumizer
outside of Fahrenheit (the unreleased Sun version).
I would argue that since one of SGI's chief duties is
to maintain/enhance Performer for the DOD
and Volumizer isn't used for realtime vis sim,
they should go ahead and release the source code
(the market for pretty pictures is much smaller
that the market for death and destruction).
Since the whole Performer API took only three weeks
to port to Linux how long could it take to port Volumizer?
So all the eggs go into the Linux basket instead of java?

regards,

-ba

ex-(Performer+Inventor+Volumizer+OpenGL+ImageVision+Viewkit) user

--
Dr. A. Ballard Andrews
Senior Research Scientist