Re: Octane graphics

Chikai Ohazama (chikai@talula)
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:36:42 -0800

I just want to make one comment in regards to Mark Davey's question. When
you remotely display graphics on another machine, you are not rendering
anything on the host machine. Therefore if you run an application
remotely from the Onyx onto the Octane, all rendering is done by the
Octane and NOT the Onyx. This is why you see the dithering because you
aren't getting IR visuals, but Octane visuals. OpenGL Vizserver solves
this problem by allowing you take advantage of the IR pipe remotely by
redirecting OpenGL rendering to the host IR pipe. There is a white paper
at the SGI website which explains this more thoroughly:

        http://www.sgi.com/software/vizserver/

As for Nigel's comments about the price, it's all relative. In relation
to the price of a multi-pipe Onyx2 system or the installation of a
Lightwave solution, it's nominal. :-)

If you have more questions about Vizserver feel free to contact me.

Chikai J. Ohazama, Ph.D. SGI
Scientific Visualization 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy., ms 525
AGD Solutions Engineering Mountain View, CA 94043.1351
                                     Telephone: (650) 933-6533
                                     FAX: (650) 932-6533