Re: Octane graphics

Nigel W. John (n.w.john@man.ac.uk)
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:10:29 +0000

Hi Chikai,

> As for Nigel's comments about the price, it's all relative. In relation
> to the price of a multi-pipe Onyx2 system or the installation of a
> Lightwave solution, it's nominal. :-)

This may well be true for an oil company or car manufacturer, but $13K
is far from nominal for an educational institute (and vizserver will be
more expensive in Europe).

I think that you have done a great job with vizserver. For a university
it means that departments will be able to group together and apply for
funding for a central graphics supercomputer. This will enable us to
make a far stronger case and have a much better chance of getting
funding. I predict an upsurge in Onyx2 systems being purchased by
academia!

I therefore urge SGI to make vizserver available in the VARSITY
software. This will surely pay dividends for you in the future and
encourage sales of Onyx2 systems. It will also be great news for those
of us who already have or are about to buy major IR2 graphics hardware.

Best Regards,

Nigel