Re: Brick reloading question

Dave Akers (dla)
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 19:03:22 -0800

Mark,

  voAppearanceActions::dataConvert() is designed to convert data from disk
data format to the external format of your application. If the data
formats are the same, however, (e.g. you're going from LUMINANCE to
LUMINANCE), it will do no copying at all. The intention here is to convert
the data, not copy it.

  So you've got a couple of choices:

  A) wait until Volumizer 1.2 is released in a few weeks (or, since you're
signed up as a participant in the beta program, fax us back the beta
agreement and we can get you a pre-release copy you can test!) This will
have built-in support for voxel modification. You'll be able to get/set
regions of voxel data, or individual voxels, and not have to worry about
brick boundaries or interleaving. (Note that all the brick I/O will happen
using the externalFormat of your data.)

  B) [in 1.1] load the data yourself, updating each brick's data through
the address obtained by voBrick::getDataPtr(). You'll have to be aware of
interleaving in this case..

  C) change your filtering code to work on a brick-by-brick basis, and
work with the data Volumizer keeps locally. (Note that you'll have to
handle interleaving yourself in this case.)

I'd personally vote for option A. ;)

-Dave