Re: O2 problem..

Dave Akers (dla)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:11:17 -0700

Hi Mark,

  Sorry for the delay.. We've been on a roadtrip for the past week or so..

  The crash you're experiencing is actually related to lookup table
support for O2. On the O2, post interpolation lookup tables are not
available, and pre-interpolation lookups are very slow. So, in this case
Volumizer does its own pre-interpolation lookup in software (i.e., it
internally allocates an intermediate buffer to store the results of
lookup-table interpolation.) One of the assumptions it makes is that the
external format of the lookup table is the same as the external format of
the data... and hence the crash occurs when this assumption fails to be
true.

  So, in summary, in this case you're actually getting a 4X bloat of your
volume data in main memory.. We could probably find ways in future
releases of the software to reduce this to 3X, at least. (after all, it
seems a bit silly to require that LUMINANCE data be replicated _twice_ to
LUMINANCE_ALPHA.)

  Hope that helps,

-Dave