color index texture

Manfred Weiler (mdweiler@immd9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:19:21 +0000

Hi,

on an Indigo with Maximum Impact Graphics I noticed that Volumizer has a
suboptimal strategy in visualizing a colored volume:

Volumizer proposes to use a RGBA texture an RGBA pre interpolation lookuptable.
But when using a color index texture with a RGBA lookup table one can not only
save 75% of texture memory but also use a hardware supported post interpolation
lookup table.
Why doesn't Volumizer use this strategy?

BTW. After having a look in the documentation I noticed that
Volumizer doesn't even support the color index format.
Is there another way one can achieve colored visualization without
using that big RGBA-Textures.

        Manfred.