Re: Best parameters !?

Chikai Ohazama (chikai@talula)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:04:23 -0700

> I'm wondering whether the "getBestParameters" methods really choose the "best"
> possible parameters. E.g. I tried to visualize a 128 ^ 3 volume on an Indigo2
> with IMPACT graphics. When I call voAppeareanceActions::getBestParameters with
> bricktype TRUNCATE I get:
>
> voInterpolationType 3D
> voDataType UNSIGNED_BYTE
> diskDataFormat LUMINANCE
> externalFormat LUMINANCE_ALPHA
> internalFormat LUMINANCE8_ALPHA8_EXT
> brick sizes 128 128 64
>
> Just look at this little calculation.
>
> 128 x 128 x 128 x 1 Byte = 2 MB
>
> As the volume only defines luminance values it should totaly fit into the
> available TRAM (4 MB).

You would think this is true, but it's not. The way IMPACT graphics is
setup you can only have 1 Mtexels in texture memory. So you
can have a RGBA 128x128x64 volume in memory (which takes up 4 MB) or a
128x128x64 LUMINANCE_ALPHA in texture memory (which takes up 2 MB), but
you cannot have a 128x128x128 LUMINANCE volume since it takes up 2
Mtexels.

> Another example:
> When bricking is required the volume seems to be divided only in z direction.
> This leads to crude differences in the number of polygons within the transient
> geometry depending on the view direction.
> When you look along the z-axis each slice is fully contained in a single brick
> -
> clipping against brick boundaries doesn't divide this slice.
> When you look along the x- or y-axis every slice spreads over all of the bricks
> - you get n pieces of this slice when clipping against the boundaries of n
> bricks. This effect leads to different time for polygonization and rendering
> and therefor variing framerates during rotation of the volume.

I can't disagree with you here. I think Dave or Robert G could comment on
this, discussing the actual algorithm for bricking. If it's really
affecting performance I would just pick you're own brick size explicitly.
Also realize that the some of the variations in framerate may also stem
the from the texture mapping hardware.

Hope this helps.

Chikai J. Ohazama, Ph.D. SGI
Scientific Visualization 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy., ms 525
AGD Applied Engineering Mountain View, CA 94043.1351
                                     Telephone: (650) 933-6533
                                     FAX: (650) 932-6533