Re: Lighting

Dave Akers (dla@sgi.com)
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 13:38:33 -0700

Kimberly Nucifora wrote:

> Last question for now, I promise!

No worries -- keep them coming. :)

> Using ray-cast rendering, the following lighting parameters can be
adjusted:

> Ambient
> Difuse
> Specular
> Specular Power
>
> Can lighting be adjusted in a similiar way with Volumizer texture
mapping?
> I believe that the answer to this question is "no" - that it doesn't
make
> sense according to the texture mapping algorithms - but I need to
verify.
> If the answers is "yes" or partially so, can you point me to the right
place
> in the code?

Althought the current version of Volumizer doesn't support lighting
directly,
there are relatively easy ways to add it in. We've provided you with an
example in the
voglShade demo. Try running it, and take a look at the code in
voglShade.cxx.
(It uses a two-pass algorithm to compute gradients on the fly -- which
is nice since it requires no extra memory, but it does take longer to
render.)

-Dave Akers, SGI