Re: Clipping parts of a volume

Robert Grzeszczuk (rg)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:57:15 -0700 (PDT)

Volker,

If I understand you correctly, you would like to treat the volume as two
distinct sub-parts and manipulate them individually? If so, one option is to
define separate TetraSets to describe each of the regions (e.g., a simple
threshold-based segmentation will produce the regions which can then be
tesselated into tetras). Given that your regions are not very regular, you may
need to simplify the tetrahedral mesh. Each resulting tetra set would be drawn
separately with or without the clip plane enabled as needed.

Another solution to the multi-part object rendering problem is to use a
multi-pass algorithm. First, set the LUT to make all the entries above 30 to
fully transparent and draw the volume without the clipping plane enabled.
 Then, set the values under 30 to fully tranapsrent, enable clip plane and draw
the rest. Depth and Alpha tests may have to be enabled to get the correct
occlusion.

Finally, you can use stecil planes to differenciate between the sub-parts:
create a binary shadow volume that will contain resuls of thresholding at 30.
Every time you're drawing a sampling polygon, draaw it into stencil planes
first to produce a subpart id mask. Then draw the same sampling polygon into
the frambuffer using the stencil test to apply sub-part specific actions (e.g.,
enable clip plane and draw if stencil_id == abov_threshold_id).

Each of the methods has its merits and drawbacks (e.g., the first method would
give best perfomance but requires non-trivial development effort). Take your
pick.

Let me know if any of this helps.

-rg