Re: problem with V1.1

Robert Grzeszczuk (rg@hoek.engr.sgi.com)
Tue, 11 May 1999 10:10:09 -0700 (PDT)

Fred,

This is indeed a bug. Fortunately, there is a workaround.

History: V1.0 had a bug where the overlap was ignored in computing the
number
of bricks. This was an obscure bug only visible in cases with a large number
of thin bricks (e.g., a 256^3 volume bricked into 256x256x2 bricks with
overlap
of 1 would produce 128 bricks that would cover only half of the volume even
using AUGMENT). This was fixed in V1.1. However, another bug was introduced:
now for volumes that divide evenly into bricks, there is an additional layer
of
1-voxel thick bricks being added in AUGMENT and AUGMENT_TIGHT modes).

You can avoid creation of these additional bricks by articially decrementing
the size of the volume before it is sent into the constructor (but *only* in
AUGMENT and AUGMENT_TIGHT modes) in this common case:

new voBrickSetCollection(
// xVolumeSize, yVolumeSize, zVolumeSize, // REMOVE
xVolumeSize%(xBrickSize-1) == 1 ? xVolumeSize-1 : xVolumeSize, // FIX
yVolumeSize%(yBrickSize-1) == 1 ? yVolumeSize-1 : yVolumeSize, // FIX
zVolumeSize%(zBrickSize-1) == 1 ? zVolumeSize-1 : zVolumeSize, // FIX
xBrickSize, yBrickSize, zBrickSize,
voPartialBrickTypeScope::AUGMENT,
1,
internalFormat,
externalFormat,
dataType,
my_Data.interpolationType);

This is a simple off-by-one error in the voBrickSet::voBrickSet()
constructor,
but happens to be very visible and quite annoying (judging by the traffic on
info-volumizer and personal communitations :-) ). We will likely create a
patch to fix it (as well as another, more serious bug related to download
performance on IR) some time soon. We'll keep you posted.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-rg