get slice texture II

From: Werner Wohlfahrter (wwohlfah@crcg.edu)
Date: 05/09/2000 18:12:53

Hi,

We still have a problem extracting a slice from the volume.

For all of you who don't know my problem a short description:
What we are trying to do is in a 3D environment,
we want to place a plane within the volume and extract
just that slice of the volume the plane intersects.
This seems like a common visualisation problem
especially for medical applications.

What we are doing at the moment is placing two clipping planes
to remove the bulk of the volume, leaving what appears to be a slice.
We then want to extract an image of this slice.
We are trying to use SoOffscreenRenderer for this purpose as Dave
suggested.
However we only get the background colour with a few white pixels
if we use the LUMINANCE components.
If we use the others, we get nothing but the background.
We especially have problems to define viewportregion .

We are having problems finding any information about
SoOffscreenRenderer.
Does anyone have a code segment of how they have used this class?

Also any advice on how to use the class would be valuable.
The process we intend to follow is:
- given the slice
- place a camera perpendicularly aligned to the slice
  (so the slice is in full glorious view of the camera)
- define our viewport somehow
- get the image
- texture it onto an SoCube
- display the cube