Re: Octane graphics

Dave Akers (dla)
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 17:04:48 -0800

Hi Mark,

  Just to clarify what Sean said this morning.. The dithering you're
experiencing actually doesn't have to do with alpha storage in the
framebuffer. Volumizer doesn't even need alpha in the framebuffer, because
it uses only the source alpha in blending calculations. Dithering occurs
because you're not getting high-enough bit-depth in R,G,B.

  On the O2 your problem is related to the framebuffer configuration. Try
running the "xscreen" configuration program, and then selecting "32x32" as
your framebuffer format. This gives you 32-bit front AND back buffers..
which you need for double buffered 8-8-8-8 visuals to be supported. The
dithering problem should go away.. let me know if it doesn't.

  Your Octane is most likely an SI with only one rasterization engine. In
this case if you're running in 1280x1024 mode the best double-buffered
visual you'll be able to get is 5-5-5 for R,G,B.. and hence dithering
results because your textures are higher quality.. So in this case, you
have two options.. a) switch to single-buffered mode, and you'll get
deeper visuals. b) as Sean suggested, decrease the screen resolution to
1024x768 using 'setmon' and you _should_ be able to get 8-8-8 and
double-buffered.

  To confirm that this is what's going on, could you send me the results
of glxinfo and /usr/gfx/gfxinfo on your Octane? Thanks..

Dave