Re: customize Geometry

Alan Commike (commike@huh)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:28:02 -0700 (PDT)

Volumizer separates the geometry representation from the data. This
allows you to map any shaped geometry to the cube of 3D voxel data.
The basis for this mapping is a tetrahedron. As long as you can
describe your geometry in the form of tetra primitives you can display
it as an arbitrary volume rendered object.

This is analogous to OpenGL, where the graphics language allows you to
describe any 3D object as long as you are able to decompose that
object into triangles.

In both cases, one difficulty is coming up with the geometric
representation using only the underlying primitives. So some simple
pseudo code would be:

  generated a TetraSet that describes the geometry
  polygonize the tetras ( voGeometryActions::polygonize() )
  render as usual as defined in the example code

Take a look at some computational geometry books to help you decide
on how to generate your representations.

        ...alan

--
Alan Commike
commike@sgi.com / 650.933.1637