Octane Distortion problem

From: Mark Davey (mkd@medphys.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: 04/19/2000 11:55:17

Hello.
I have been working with an Octane over the past couple of months and I
have a number of problems with respect to the use of this machine with
Volumizer, although I suspect that none of them are due explicitly to
Volumizer itself but to the architecture of the machine.

Firstly,
  When using Volumizer to produce a Multi-Planar reformatting of the
data, where the plane is kept stationary with respect to the data,
considerable distortion of the texture can be seen as the data is
rotated. Has anyone else seen this? Is it an Octane problem? This also
appears to make 'fly-throughs' behave very strangely indeed as the data
set gently morphs as you pass through the anatomy!

As I have previously mention I was having trouble using glFog at the
same time as colour lookup tables. As pointed out, this is mentioned in
the man pages for lookup tables. Does anyone know if the new Octane
graphics card will have this problem?

I have tried to use

          voAppearanceActions::textureSubload(...);

on an Octane only to be told that this command is not supported on the
Octane... Is this a fundamental problem with the Octane or is it
Volumizer at fault here?
This means I cannot do interactive editing of the volume.

Although I have 'solved' the dithering problems encountered when
displaying textured graphics on the Octane by reducing the screen
resolution to 1024x768_76 this strikes me as being a poor compromise as
PC's can do better than this at a small fraction of the cost. Surely a
standard Octane should be able to display adequate graphics as a
standard resolution of 1280x1024.

Have I got a sub-standard machine here?
If not then the pratical uses for Volumizer (and probably any other
volume-slicing-based volume rendering API) seems limited on the Octane
(especially
considering the goemetric distortions)

What would be the platform of choice for Volumizer?
What is required to get around the above problems? Do I have to use an
Onyx???

Regards
Mark....

From: Mark Davey
Dept. of Medical Physics, UCL.

TEL: +44 (0)171 915 1673. FAX: +44 (0)171 837 9279.

Institute of Laryngology and Otology, 330 Gray's Inn Road, London. WC1X 8GE.